Application Process for 2014
The Emerge California application process for the Class of 2014 is now closed.
- Application process opens: Monday July 1st
- Application deadline: Friday, October 4, 2013
- Applications reviewed: Monday, October 14th thru October 31st
- Invitations extended for in-person interviews: November 6th
- In-person interviews: Saturday, November 16th
- Selection calls for Class of 2014: Wednesday, November 20th
- Mandatory Orientation (Bay Area Program Members): Tuesday, December 3rd
- Mandatory Orientation (So-Cal/Central Valley Program Members): Friday, December 6th
Emerge California seeks bright, self-motivated women who are committed to effective political leadership and are committed to run for elective office. For the 2014 cohort, Emerge California will be recruiting women from all over California with a heightened focus on counties where women are severely under-represented at the County Supervisorial, City Council and School Board levels. Those target counties include, but are not limited to: Fresno, Sacramento, Stanislaus, San Joaquin, Merced, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, Los Angeles, Riverside, Imperial, San Bernardino, Orange, and San Diego. Specifically, we seek women who have:
- evidence of political leadership experience or potential, and meaningful involvement in workplace or community;
- interest in running for political office;
- demonstrated ability to bring together disparate groups to achieve a goal;
- ability and desire to build effective networks;
- ability to articulate a personal political vision;
- demonstrated ability to inspire others; and
- commitment to full participation and attendance requirements of the trainings.
Applicants must be women who are Democrats and who reside in the state of California.
Emerge California will select between 20-30 women from across the state who meet the above criteria and who we believe have the potential to be political leaders.
Emerge embraces diversity and encourages applications from all women regardless of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religious affiliation, sexual orientation or physical abilities.
Tuition for the Emerge California Program is $1000. Tuition offsets the cost of Emerge California's out-of-pocket costs for providing the weekend training sessions. There is also a mandatory $75 materials fee. Emerge California believes that individual circumstances should NOT be a barrier to participation in the program. Partial financial aid may be awarded after admission to the program.
Class of 2014 Training Schedule
- Kickoff Training Session #1: Saturday, December 7, 2013; reception to immediately follow
- Training Session #2: Saturday, January 11, 2014; reception to immediately follow
- Training Session #3: Saturday, February 8, 2014: reception to immediately follow
- California Democratic Party Convention, Los Angeles: Friday, March 7 to Sunday, March 9, 2014 (Optional)
- Training Session #4: Saturday & Sunday, March 22-23, 2014 (overnight stay)
- Training Session #5: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 (in Sacramento)
- Training Session #6: Saturday & Sunday, May 17-18, 2014 (overnight stay)
- Final Training Session #7 & Graduation: Saturday, June 14, 2014 (graduation ceremony to immediately follow)
A non-refundable application fee of $50 is required and must be submitted along with a completed application. You can make the payment online or mail a check or money order payable to Emerge California.
The success of the Emerge California program depends upon commitment to the program's entire schedule by each participant. Over the seven-month period, approximately 70 Program hours are scheduled. Some time outside of regularly scheduled trainings will be necessary for homework and training preparation.
During the course of the seven-month Program, Emerge California participants are also required to volunteer for a minimum of 10 hours on a political campaign of their choosing. Successful completion of all Program and volunteer hours is mandatory to graduate from the Emerge Program.
Program participants are also required to raise a minimum of $1000 for the Emerge California program during the program year. The program offers many opportunities for participants to fullfil this requirement including selling tickets to low-dollar receptions, house parties, the annual Spring event and volunteering for call-time.
Emerge California staff are also on hand to assist with personal fundraising endeavors as well. The program is committed to helping women become excellent fundraisers and raising funds for the organization is one of the best - and most fun - ways to perfect this skill.
For more information email email@example.com